Uncategorized

'You think you've seen it all': 8 teen girls charged with murder in man's stabbing death in Canada – USA TODAY

Eight teenage girls are facing murder charges in connection to the the stabbing death of a 59-year-old Toronto man in what police are calling a “swarming” attack.
Toronto Police Service officials charged the teens on Tuesday following the weekend slaying, the department reported.
Officers responded just after 12:15 a.m. Sunday to a report of an assault in downtown Toronto and found a man suffering from stab wounds, Police Detective Sgt. Terry Browne said. Paramedics then took the man to a hospital where he died.
Police are not releasing the victim’s identity until his next-of-kin can be contacted. Browne said the victim had moved into a local homeless shelter this fall.
“As the investigation unfolded it was learned very earlon that the suspects involved in this were being described it this as eight young females,” Browne told reporters.
Police located the suspects the area where the attack took place, he said, and arrested three 13-year-old girls, three 14-year-old girls and two 16-year-old girls and charged them with second-degree murder.
Browne said the same girls got into an altercation earlier in the night in the area where the man was killed. He declined to release more details but did say investigators believe the girls were trying to take a bottle of alcohol from the victim.
“(The suspects) met each other through social media. They come from varying parts of the city,” Browne said during a news conference. “We don’t know how or why they met on that evening and why the destination was downtown Toronto. We don’t know how long they were acquainted with each other. I wouldn’t describe them as a gang at this point.”
Browne said they took part in a “swarming.” He declined to say if the teen’s videotaped the attack.
He said a number of weapons were seized, but declined to say what kind. He said the girls are all Canadian and that three of the suspects had prior encounters with the police.
“I’ve been in policing for almost 35 years and you think you’ve seen it all,” Browne said in an interview with The Associated Press. “Anyone who isn’t shocked with hearing something like this has clearly just thrown in the towel and just said that anything is possible in this world. Eight young girls and most under the age of 16. If this isn’t alarming and shocking to everyone, then we’re all in trouble quite frankly.”
Browne said police spoke to the parents of the teens.
“I can tell you it was a shock to find out that their children were involved in an event like this,” he said.
Canadian authorities did not release the girls’ names because they are minors.
Browne said they remain in custody and are due in court for an appearance Dec. 29.
Natalie Neysa Alund covers trending news for USA TODAY. Reach her at nalund@usatoday.com and follow her on Twitter @nataliealund.

source

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button